- About ALEH
- The ALEH Family
- Professional Forum
- International Activity
- How You Can Help
- ALEH Boutique
- Contact Us
If you are considering volunteer work in Israel, please take into account that the circumstances in Israel are very different to that in other countries. The complex political situation, the summer weather, and various cultural differences may present challenge to foreign volunteers. Yet, they also make for an incredible experience. The most important thing is to come with an open mind and a positive attitude.
Interested in becoming a volunteer for ALEH in Israel? You can let us know by filling out the Online Application form, together with the other required documents/forms listed below. In most cases, you will be contacted by e-mail or phone several times during the screening process, and a video conference interview will be arranged with the volunteer coordinator of the location you are interested in prior to approval.
We recommend that you wait to book your ticket until after receiving official approval from ALEH. Once your journey is booked, we would like to receive a scan of your ticket.
If no visa is required from your country of origin, you may stay in Israel for up to 3 months. ALEH can supply a letter that will explain the purpose of your trip (i.e. volunteer work). A visa for more than a 3-month stay (with a maximum of 1 year and a possible extension of one more year) can be arranged by ALEH, but it will take us time to secure it so please take that into consideration when you make your plans.
What does ALEH ask of me?
- You are interested in working with children with severe intellectual and physical disabilities
- You are at between 18-65 years old
- You have a basic command of the English language
- You are available for at least 4 weeks
- You are in good health
- You are responsible for your own travel costs to, from, and within Israel
- You are prepared to work for 5 days a week, 8 hours a day
Additionally, experience in healthcare is preferable but certainly not a requirement.
What does ALEH offer me?
- A fantastic work environment and incredible volunteering experience
- Room and board (excluding ALEH Jerusalem)
- Basic living supplies, including cleaning products, toiletries, sheets, detergents, etc. (excluding ALEH Jerusalem)
- Two holidays per month
What does ALEH need in order to process my application?
- The completed online application form
- A recent Certificate of Good Conduct / Police Clearance Certificate (no more than 6 months old)
- Contact details of 2 references(e.g. a congregation leader or employer) so that we can inquire about your employment history and communal involvement
- A completed doctor’s certificate of health signed by your general practitioner
- A scan of your passport (must remain valid until 6 months after finishing your stay in Israel)
- A current CV
- A copy of your (ongoing) travel insurance with repatriation cover
Please note that the documents listed above may be scanned and sent by e-mail. Please make sure you scan both sides of the documents. It is important to take the original documents with you to Israel.